During the summer, salad gets prepared a lot more frequently in my kitchen for a couple of reasons: bikini season and it is just too darn hot. That being said, I’m craving some gooey chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven with a cold glass of milk right now. But no cookies for us! Instead, I’m offering you a sweet caprese salad using heirloom tomatoes that I procured in my CSA basket from Be Wise Ranch. I really love the visual of using a variety of tomatoes in caprese salads beneath the chiffonade of basil and dark drizzle of the balsamic vinegar. For my vinegar selection, I chose to use a thick and rich espresso balsamic vinegar from Coronado Taste of Oils.
|just a little caprese salad|| |
- 3-4 heirloom tomatoes depending on size*
- half a cucumber*
- handful of fresh basil chiffonade
- salt & pepper
- good quality olive oil
- good quality balsamic vinegar
- one helping of burrata
- Peel the cucumber and slice into quarter of an inch rounds.
- Arrange the cucumber slices evenly on your serving plate.
- Slice the tomatoes into quarter of an inch rounds and arrange evenly on top of the cucumber.
- Drizzle with olive oil followed by a hearty sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the plate with the basil.
- Place the burrata in the center of the plate.
- Drizzle with vinegar and serve!
As a reminder, all ingredients marked with an asterisks come from Be Wise Ranch CSA.